Reps and Phibs

                 Crow Wood provides a home for several species of reptile and amphibian, all of whom, being food for various predators, try and stay pretty much out of the way. I even put out a few metal sheets in sunny spots for Grass Snakes and Slow worms to hide under. Last year, Grass Snakes proved to be very elusive as I hardly saw any of the young ones that like sunning themselves under the tins. It was quite a  surprise then last week when lifting up a tarpaulin to check on some timbers to find a very large snake curled up underneath. It was one of the largest I have ever come across and judging from its girth it was either digesting its last meal or about to give birth. It clearly liked this particular spot to warm itself as I found it again a few days later, this time with male alongside. I don't mind handling snakes but this one was just too quick for me and was away into cover at speed.

                My second surprise was to find a young Toad hiding under some timber in another part of the wood. It's not unusual to find one hiding in damp corners but I have yet to work out how they get here as we have no standing water. It suggests that they travel widely after spawning and spend a lot of their lives away from ponds. I am very fond of these amphibians and this young one proved to be very photogenic. The biggest surprise of the day was to find a very gravid Common Lizard stuck in the drainage hole of the plastic box that I use to store the special Turtle Dove seed. The poor thing was so fat with young that it could not pull itself forwards or backwards. It took some very gentle manoeuvring on my part to free it. I hope it survived the ordeal and will raise its family successfully. It seemed Ok when I checked on it later. It will have quite a tale to tell its children.



The Grass Snake's favourite spot


A fine specimen.........note the bulge !


Recovering after the rescue..........

The rescued Lizard sunning itself later,  joined by another....note the bulge !

The Toad posing well 

While pulling bracken I came across this Song Thrush nest. I had to back away very quickly and leave the bird the space to return, which it did. Such a perfect blue !


Comments

  1. Great meeting you at the swift meet last night, Martin! Thoroughly enjoying your blog - the photos are excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments:

Popular Posts