A walk in Crow Wood

                More often than not I go to Crow Wood with work in mind as there are always jobs to do, even at this time of the year - keeping paths clear, bracken bashing, checking fencing etc etc. But I always make time for a walk around to see what is going on and there is always something new. This last visit I spent a couple of hours scything bracken in an area I try to keep clear for reptiles and butterflies. It seems to have grown even taller this year. Its not a bad plant in itself but it does smother everything underneath and prevents most other plants from flowering. It does need controlling. I have a very fine long handled scythe that used to belong to my father-in-law and it does the job very nicely.
                My walk this time gave me a chance to rest my arms and get my breath back and as always there was plenty to see with many plants now in flower. I am not a flower expert but over the years have got to know a few familiar species and this summer seems to be an exceptional one for the majestic Rosebay Willowherb. I wonder if this is because rabbit numbers are so low and they are not nibbling them back.

Rosebay Willowherb in flower

Honeysuckle is also in flower, such a good plant to see and smell; and it's the food plant of White Admiral butterfly caterpillars, so very welcome.

This is a variety of Birds' Foot Trefoil and another good plant for attracting butterflies

Spear Thistle, loved by bees and butterflies including the dashing Silver-washed Fritillary



On a visit two weeks ago I spotted a Song Thrush flying out of a low branch of a hazel and guessed it had a nest there. A quick peep showed me four blue eggs and when I looked this time there were four young birds in the nest. Its not a very sensible place for a nest and if I could spot it so easily I worry that a Jay or Magpie could do so too but there is nothing to be done except wish the family well. At this stage the chicks look so vulnerable but it is likely this is the parents' second clutch and they still have time to have another should the worst happen.


Some old friends were to be seen - a Spotted Flycatcher that has been around since early May was still calling in the Scots Pine area. I hoped that a pair would nest this year but I would expect birds to be feeding young by now but there is no sign of this. I guess sadly that this bird did not find a mate. The last nest I am certain of was  found ten years ago. It such a shame that numbers migrating to the UK are so low now as its a lovely unassuming summer bird. Great Spotted Woodpeckers on the other hand are doing well and this young male was very keen to show itself at the end of my circular tour, such handsome birds. 



"Thats all folks....."




Comments

Popular Posts