Stay or go ?

The coronavirus is doing its very worst at the moment and dominating so much of what we do. As an outdoors person I am finding it really hard staying indoors, particularly as it is Spring and there is so much Nature to see out there. The stipulation only to engage in "essential" journeys is a clear enough request and justifiable but also a very open requirement; after all, just what is essential?

Having thought long and hard about this, I decided (rightly or wrongly) that a visit to Crow Wood could be classed as essential. There were young trees planted in the Autumn that needed water in this long hot spell of weather and with a history of break-ins and fly-tipping, the security of gates and wood stores to be checked. A visit would also count as my daily exercise outing and I would in all likelihood meet no-one. I had also heard from a contractor friend that forestry related activities were indeed counted as essential (difficult to do at home, for sure).

Crow Wood was full of delights and even though I could not get rid of a slight feeling of guilt, I was very glad to have gone. The Primroses along the ride were at their best with the very first Bluebells and Violets appearing. The clump of Early Purple Orchids offered a burst of colour, having been driven along by the spell of hot sun. And always for me an indicator of real Spring, there was one Slow Worm under the tin; a fine female, so cool to the touch. To cap off a wonderful visit, a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker starting calling and drumming from high up in the dead oak. Not much bigger than a sparrow, this species is one of my absolute favourites and sadly very rare these days. I am convinced a pair nest somewhere in Old Park Wood as I see one or two every spring but as yet its nest has eluded me.

The Female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

.....and in flight, like butterfly wings

The first Slow Worm of the year


One of the very first Bluebells to be out

Primroses along the "Grassy Track"


violet 

Early Purple Orchid with bee pollinator

Comments

Popular Posts