Winter light

I usually make an early start to any visit to the wood but at this time of the year it makes an interesting change to go later in the afternoon and get a sense of what happens as dusk approaches. The light this afternoon was wonderful, low and strong, split up as it passed through the trees and highlighting particular leaves...those still on the trees that is. The Cole Tits were still feeding actively presumably needing to store up food to see them through another frosty night. They are bold little birds both in their markings and in their habits, not being very phased by me standing within 4m or so to watch their antics. At times there were 5 active around the feeders.

Later, collecting up logs to bring home, I flushed a Woodcock which, as they always do, sped away in front of me, dodging between the tree trunks to gain height and escape. One or two individuals spend the winter in our wood and I have always wanted to see one well but they are so quick to get into flight. Once or twice I have nearly trodden on one and had a terrific shock when it zoomed off through the branches. I imagine these are birds over from Scandinavia, escaping frozen ground there. I would love to see one on the ground just once !

As I left our wood and paused at the gate pair of Ravens flew over followed by a Sparrowhawk and two Cormorants, an unusual sight, off to roost on a local lake presumably. And straggle of Rooks and other corvids made they way south to a different roost, lit by the setting sun and watched over by one of our resident Buzzards from its pylon perch.

Fieldfares have arrived good numbers


Late afternoon light on a Sweet Chestnut leaf

Cole Tit


Rooks heading off to their roost, lit by the setting sun.


The watching Buzzard

Comments

Popular Posts