I struggle a bit with moth identification as there are so many species to remember but each year I add a few more to my list of known ones. I ran the moth trap on Saturday night and it was the best haul I have ever encountered there, so far I have managed to identify 21 species but i am still working on a few I do not know. On of my favourites is the Large Emerald and there were two in the trap. I think the coloration is just so delicate.

opening the moth trap on Sunday morning



 On Sunday morning, I walked the whole length of track from gate to gate within Old Park wood and counted 16 species of butterfly including a very obliging Purple Hairstreak and freshly emerged Brimstone butterfly in dazzling yellow. This really is a cracking butterfly year.

Brimstone feeding on Thistle

Purple Hairstreak

Comments

Popular Posts